Skip to main content

Louis Vuitton X Jeff Koons: My thoughts

Louis Vuitton X Jeff Koons: My thoughts

I was left speechless when I woke up last month to see the latest Collaboration to hit the fashion world, that of Louis Vuitton and Jeff Koons. My immediate reaction was that of utter horror, because I think it looks well...ugly and unnecessarily fussy, however my opinion was somewhat shifted when the products began circulating on social media, because i could see the craftsman ship, but I'm still not a fan. Essentially Koons has put old works of art on some iconic Vuitton bags in a way that "encourages new interpretations".

Um right okay...

I'm disappointed because, just before the release, Louis Vuitton created a lot of hype on their social media (naturally) and I was expecting something better, especially after the disappointing previous Supreme collaboration last year (see my other blogpost). To make things worse, adding ugly embellishments to the bags makes them look like tacky souveners bought from venders outside of art galleries, not something a creation of high fashion.

Its funny, even though I'm currently pastiching the same Rubens painting used on the bags, I still don't like the bags, even though I appreciate their artistic value and style. I feel the creative value was lost by simply copying the paintings and sticking them to bags. Artists copied include Titan, Rubens, Da Vinci, Van Gogh, and Fragonard, some of the worlds greatest painters who now get associated with the fashion Collaboration of the year (For negative reasons).

I think the collaboration could have been much more simple, and not embellished with the artist's names and "LV" initials because that is where the 'ugliness' comes from, and therefore if that was taken away, the paintings would be the main attraction and the creative vision would have clarity.
I also would have liked to see some Monogram canvas print on the bags to give them a uniformity.

Regardless, here are the bags below,

(Pictures from the Louis Vuitton website)












Comments

  1. I grew up with the Flemish and Dutch masters. I approve of any method to share with the younger generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As someone who adores the work of the Flemish and Dutch masters, I agree and think that the younger generation need to be exposed to actin any way possible, however I think the collection only encourages viewers to look at the art, and not to understand the wider social and historical circumstances that the art is surrounded by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BRANDED FASHION - LOVE IT OR LOATH IT

BRANDED FASHION - LOVE IT OR LOATH IT Brand logos are extremely popular with current Instagram bloggers and their street style, but they continue to divide the fashion community as a question of taste. Many people wrongly judge their fashion aesthetic around how much their outfit costs, and designer logos are an immediate way to communicate that to the average passer by. Personally, I like the look of a logo, so long as it positively impacts the outfit and is not done to "show off" the brand. Many people feel that any brand logo is done to enforce the brand on others, but if you look deeper than just how much that item of designer clothing may cost, logos are a good example of iconic graphic design, and I personally love the look of a logo (if done *classily*). The first logo to outwardly show a brand name was the monogram print of French trunk maker Louis Vuitton. In 1896, Louis Vuitton's son, Georges created the pattern in a bid to prevent counterfeiting of the

DIY: Louis Vuitton Mon Monogram Personalisation

DIY: Louis Vuitton Mon Monogram Personalisation Louis Vuitton has a personalisation service whereby you can get several stripes, as well as 3 initials painted on some of their bags and accessories in the Monogram and Damier Graphite canvas prints. I think the designs are screen printed over the canvas (because they are so flawless and are very uniform) using special pigment before being varnished, so I decided to try it myself!    Louis Vuitton's Passport cover with Mon Monogram Sadly I don't have the means to screen print myself, so I decided to paint them instead. You will need; Acrylic paint, I find the vibrant colours and white look the best (Acrylic paint is very hardwearing so will not need touching up very often) Paintbrushes (the smaller the better) Tape (to get crisp lines, frog tape works really well) Something to paint on (a cardholder or pencil case are great, but you could do it on pretty much anything) A pencil (to draw out the sha

MET GALA FASHION REVIEW

MET GALA FASHION REVIEW 2018 The Met Gala is, to fashion, what the olympics is to sport, what tea is to British people, what facetune is to beauty gurus, an iconic pairing that anyone interested cannot afford to miss. But why? Put simply; star appeal and media coverage. The ball is an evening event, always set on the first Monday in May to raise money for the costume institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Sounds relatively basic and ordinary? think again. It is a heavily publicised event, and a ticket ensures your presence on the world stage for years to come. Ironically, the most iconic moment of the gala is the red carpet before the show, as the world press the morning after catalogue, in detail the outfits, body language and general celebrity star appeal of having dozens of high profile celebs all in one building at the same time. Ironically, and completely in keeping with current technology, the outfits are "memed" on social media the n