Skip to main content

How to refresh your wardrobe

How to refresh your wardrobe 

I don't know about you, but my wardrobe could do with a bit of a re-evaluation. About two years ago I cleared my wardrobe out and only kept the items I really needed and whats funny is, two years ago, I had a hugely different take on my personal style, and if I'm honest, I haven't really found it yet. I'm only 17 years old, and so my wallet doesn't have a huge amount of room to buy new clothes all the time, so this how to guide will let you only buy what you will actually wear.


Tip #1 BE OBJECTIVE
When looking at your wardrobe, try to look at it with an objective lens. Take the sentimental angle away from your clothes and only look to keep something if you actually wear it, not if you keep it because of a special memory. Also, at this stage its worth mentioning that just because something cost you a lot of money in the past, you don't need to keep it. High price does not equal great style, or infant, your style.

Tip #2 BUY SMART
Something I always question before parting with cash is whether the item will still look as fresh as it does new in 2,3 or 5 years time. More expensive clothes will last longer, but only to a point. A £5,000 coat probably won't last any longer than a £800 coat, but due to exquisite marketing and a weighted brand name, it still holds such a high price tag. Unfortunately, my clothing budget does not extend so far, so to make this post relatable to me, i'll show you a little example. Coat A, a coat from Primark at a cost of around £25 may last only a few seasons, before it starts to fall apart. Coat B, from Topman at a higher cost of around £80 may last longer, say 5 seasons before it starts to fall apart, whilst a coat from Jaeger, at a cost of around £225 will last the longest, but obviously carries the large price tag. moral of the story? buy the best you can, and if you are able, stretch a little bit more for the real classic pieces, or just if you fancy it. I always try to stretch for two things, shoes and outerwear. I have a pair of chelsea boots that still look brand new three winters on, and I have a coat that is coming to the end of its second season that looks still brand new. REMEMBER: Quality is not down to design or brand, but the fabric, stitching and level of construction.

Tip #3 DON'T BE AFRAID OF BUYING THINGS USED
I have a confession, I'm a charity shop obsessive. I love shopping in my local charity shops in a bid i'll one day flick through a hanger and see a major designer label ,but its not that reason why I go in. I buy clothes because I like them, and if I see a barely used wool coat for £9.99 I'm buying it. Charity shops have main pluses. 1. you can get some clothing that is literally brand new for a fraction of their retail, designer or not. 2, used does not mean dirty and smelly, if in doubt dry clean it, but many people donating clothes keep them clean and sometimes clean them prior to donation. 3. If you buy with quality in mind like me, often there are some great brands that you'll have never heard off that are super affordable and really well made, and similarly, as many people who donate have lots of quite basic/classic clothing, you can buy the essentials without having to fork out lots, meaning you can splurge on something f u n k y ! ! (like this, I'm desperate to find a high-street dupe!)

Tip #4 FIND YOUR PERSONAL STYLE
admittedly, this tip is really hard to achieve, unless you have your life together, but don't worry, one day you will find it. I like to check websites like Pinterest and Instagram that have thousands of users all with some killer style to see how they wear particular things. I think it wise to think that your personal style will change over time, and preferences change. When thinking about buying something, think how well it will fit into your current pieces, as there's no point buying something if you have to squeeze it into your current style. Or, worst, have to buy lots more things to wear with it.

Tip #5 BUY BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT
When looking at possible purchases , ask yourself if you’re buying it for you, or because everyone had it and you wan to be part of the ‘it’ club. If you are looking at something that everyone has but you still really love it, then that’s different!!. Don’t follow the crowd, only buy because you love it, and think you’ll rock it!

WHAT I'M LUSTING AFTER/MY FASHION WISH LIST
1. COMME DE GARÇON X CONVERSE BLACK HIGH TOPS
I LOVEEEE these, I love the combination of classic shoe silhouette and playful branding. 

2. ZARA TROUSERS WITH SIDE STRIPE
These are super on trend, and I think they are a good way of going smarter without being suited up!

3. DR MARTENS 1461 SMOOTH
I really want a shoe that is relatively smart, but can still be dressed down and these Dr martens fit the brief!

4.ZARA WOOL JACKET
Outerwear is a great way to switch up an outfit, and this wool jacket is sartorial and chic.
5. ZARA STRIPED JUMPER(S)
Sorry, can't decide which I like more. Both are bold and enough of a statement that I can cope with. 

6.CDC PLAY STRIPED TEE
This is super cute, and a great tee that I think would blend your winter and autumn wardrobe perfectly.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BRANDED FASHION - LOVE IT OR LOATH IT

BRANDED FASHION - LOVE IT OR LOATH IT Brand logos are extremely popular with current Instagram bloggers and their street style, but they continue to divide the fashion community as a question of taste. Many people wrongly judge their fashion aesthetic around how much their outfit costs, and designer logos are an immediate way to communicate that to the average passer by. Personally, I like the look of a logo, so long as it positively impacts the outfit and is not done to "show off" the brand. Many people feel that any brand logo is done to enforce the brand on others, but if you look deeper than just how much that item of designer clothing may cost, logos are a good example of iconic graphic design, and I personally love the look of a logo (if done *classily*). The first logo to outwardly show a brand name was the monogram print of French trunk maker Louis Vuitton. In 1896, Louis Vuitton's son, Georges created the pattern in a bid to prevent counterfeiting of the

DIY: Louis Vuitton Mon Monogram Personalisation

DIY: Louis Vuitton Mon Monogram Personalisation Louis Vuitton has a personalisation service whereby you can get several stripes, as well as 3 initials painted on some of their bags and accessories in the Monogram and Damier Graphite canvas prints. I think the designs are screen printed over the canvas (because they are so flawless and are very uniform) using special pigment before being varnished, so I decided to try it myself!    Louis Vuitton's Passport cover with Mon Monogram Sadly I don't have the means to screen print myself, so I decided to paint them instead. You will need; Acrylic paint, I find the vibrant colours and white look the best (Acrylic paint is very hardwearing so will not need touching up very often) Paintbrushes (the smaller the better) Tape (to get crisp lines, frog tape works really well) Something to paint on (a cardholder or pencil case are great, but you could do it on pretty much anything) A pencil (to draw out the sha

MET GALA FASHION REVIEW

MET GALA FASHION REVIEW 2018 The Met Gala is, to fashion, what the olympics is to sport, what tea is to British people, what facetune is to beauty gurus, an iconic pairing that anyone interested cannot afford to miss. But why? Put simply; star appeal and media coverage. The ball is an evening event, always set on the first Monday in May to raise money for the costume institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Sounds relatively basic and ordinary? think again. It is a heavily publicised event, and a ticket ensures your presence on the world stage for years to come. Ironically, the most iconic moment of the gala is the red carpet before the show, as the world press the morning after catalogue, in detail the outfits, body language and general celebrity star appeal of having dozens of high profile celebs all in one building at the same time. Ironically, and completely in keeping with current technology, the outfits are "memed" on social media the n