Skip to main content

Supreme X Louis Vuitton: A match made in a skatepark heaven?

Supreme X Louis Vuitton: A match made in a skatepark heaven?


Parisian Fashion house Louis Vuitton recently unveiled its newest collaboration with street wear brand Supreme last month in Paris 


The collection has a modern, youthful nature that I think is exactly what Kim Jones, the creative director of menswear is trying to inject into the brand, however I have yet to see a piece of the collaboration I like. The brand Supreme is not a brand I would want to shop at, I'm a more classic dresser and the pieces are quite trendy. To be completely honest, I really don't like it, and think it is slightly "style over substance"

Firstly, I don't like the new red and white monogram design because I hate the idea that the classic monogram colours of brown and ivory (created in 1896) is now part of a "range". This is not the only variation available as last year, Vuitton released a blue colour scheme and a "reverse" monogram where the classic colours have been inverted, as well as 2 multicolour versions created in collaboration with Takashi Murakami in 2003 (discontinued last year) I'm not a fan of any of the monogram variations so from the get go I didn't like the collaboration with Supreme.
The Skateboard case

The Classic Monogram canvas
The accessories, such as the skateboard case (again adorned with the infamous red monogram) are not hugely luxurious in my opinion, which for a very expensive accessory is a real shame, although I’m sure the quality is there.
The Keepall Bag

In my honest opinion, although I appreciate its creative, and youthful value, I’m really not a fan. I feel the collection is not the match made in heaven it looks on the runway. The red colour used in the collection is significant because it is the colour of Supreme and is featured in their logo. I find the red actually a little obnoxious, and in-your-face especially paired with the huge white lettering design featured on the Keepall duffle bag. I think the classic Keepall design (which was created in the 1920s) has been lost in the collaboration and doesn’t do the bag justice. I had one friend ask whether it was photoshopped, and I think this sums up perfectly my opinion of the design.

Louis Vuitton launched into clothing for the collaboration as well. It is the only part of the collection I can actually see on young people because it was surprisingly wearable for high fashion. The denim, adorned with monogram with more subtle supreme logos is more tasteful, and usable but will no doubt retail in the upper hundreds.

I don’t feel the collaboration will be hugely successful for their target market of young people (not that anyone of any age can’t wear it but Supreme is worn mostly by young people) because the trunk alone costs around £50,000. Not cash that most teens will drop on a home furnishing.

Louis Vuitton x Supreme : seen on a rich kid of Instagram near you later this year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BRANDED FASHION - LOVE IT OR LOATH IT

BRANDED FASHION - LOVE IT OR LOATH IT Brand logos are extremely popular with current Instagram bloggers and their street style, but they continue to divide the fashion community as a question of taste. Many people wrongly judge their fashion aesthetic around how much their outfit costs, and designer logos are an immediate way to communicate that to the average passer by. Personally, I like the look of a logo, so long as it positively impacts the outfit and is not done to "show off" the brand. Many people feel that any brand logo is done to enforce the brand on others, but if you look deeper than just how much that item of designer clothing may cost, logos are a good example of iconic graphic design, and I personally love the look of a logo (if done *classily*). The first logo to outwardly show a brand name was the monogram print of French trunk maker Louis Vuitton. In 1896, Louis Vuitton's son, Georges created the pattern in a bid to prevent counterfeiting of the

DIY: Louis Vuitton Mon Monogram Personalisation

DIY: Louis Vuitton Mon Monogram Personalisation Louis Vuitton has a personalisation service whereby you can get several stripes, as well as 3 initials painted on some of their bags and accessories in the Monogram and Damier Graphite canvas prints. I think the designs are screen printed over the canvas (because they are so flawless and are very uniform) using special pigment before being varnished, so I decided to try it myself!    Louis Vuitton's Passport cover with Mon Monogram Sadly I don't have the means to screen print myself, so I decided to paint them instead. You will need; Acrylic paint, I find the vibrant colours and white look the best (Acrylic paint is very hardwearing so will not need touching up very often) Paintbrushes (the smaller the better) Tape (to get crisp lines, frog tape works really well) Something to paint on (a cardholder or pencil case are great, but you could do it on pretty much anything) A pencil (to draw out the sha

MET GALA FASHION REVIEW

MET GALA FASHION REVIEW 2018 The Met Gala is, to fashion, what the olympics is to sport, what tea is to British people, what facetune is to beauty gurus, an iconic pairing that anyone interested cannot afford to miss. But why? Put simply; star appeal and media coverage. The ball is an evening event, always set on the first Monday in May to raise money for the costume institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Sounds relatively basic and ordinary? think again. It is a heavily publicised event, and a ticket ensures your presence on the world stage for years to come. Ironically, the most iconic moment of the gala is the red carpet before the show, as the world press the morning after catalogue, in detail the outfits, body language and general celebrity star appeal of having dozens of high profile celebs all in one building at the same time. Ironically, and completely in keeping with current technology, the outfits are "memed" on social media the n